What is Gratitude?
“Gratitude” word derived from the Latin word gratis pleasing, thankful’ which means a feeling of appreciation felt by and similar positive response shown by the recipient of kindness, gifts, help, favors, or other types of generosity, towards the giver of such gifts. Gratitude is being thankful and appreciative. Most religions mention and encourage practicing Gratitude in one form or other.
How to foster feelings of Gratitude?
1. Keep a daily gratitude journal: Keeping a journal is a great way to channel our Gratitude in the right direction. Writing offers us a way to think and reflect on our emotions and opinions.
2. Engage in a contemplative practice every day: Introspection enables us to spend time in examining our thoughts and feelings, thus helping us to find out ways to be grateful.
3. Positive thoughts: It is easy to get swamped with negativity and gloominess, which is floating all around us. But if we can separate the good from the bad, we can outlet our energy in bringing positive thoughts to the forefront.
4. Express our feelings: Expressing our feelings frees us from the internal turmoil that may push us to negativities due to lack of explanation.
5. Appreciate and connect with nature: Nature teaches us to nurture. We can leap and nurture our feelings to Gratitude, no matter what the weather (circumstances) is.
6. Stop complaining and appreciate life: It is easy to fall prey to negativity and complaining, but it takes a considerable conscious effort to accept and enjoy and appreciate life as it comes.
7. Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is not just a fancy term but a significant factor in cultivating positivity and Gratitude.
8. Volunteer: Giving back to the community brings feelings of Gratitude for being able to help others and to see life more appreciatively by realizing how the things we take for granted can be out of reach for so many others.
9. Appreciate small things as well: Gratitude should not wait to be expressed after a significant event happen. We should make more efforts to understand the smallest of the good things in our life.
10. Spend quality time with loved ones: The positive atmosphere that we get by spending time with loved ones helps us develop more Gratitude towards life.
Benefits of Gratitude